Lab 2

    Started my morning a little rough, however, I managed to get online to start my lab 2. I randomly selected https://github.com/yuanLeeMidori/OSD600.GoodLinkOrBadLink as a repository to begin with. As I kept reading I noticed this project was not for me, I have never worked on .NET platform and do not plan to anytime soon. However, upon reading the READme file I noticed some sentences that could use some grammatical help. I took this opportunity, to practice how to create a pull request. I knew this wouldn't count for my lab 2, however, decided it was worth the experience. I followed the given instructions and successfully created a pull request. Later on I'll talk about all the requests that have been accepted or not.

Here's the rest of my story:

Who did I help?

Roger. 

What was Rogers Project?

Roger was working on Cligon a program that stands for Check if Link Is Good Or Not.

how did I contribute to Cligon?

I added a requirements.txt file to Rogers Repository. This requirements. txt file is used for specifying what python packages are required to run the project you are looking at. I also added some documentation about how to create a virtual environment.

What difference will my edit make?

As Rogers program develops the number of dependancies will increase significantly. This will make it difficult for the users to download all the dependancies needed. requirements.txt is a file to list the packages needed in order to execute the program. Well, Virtual Environments are what makes requirements.txt powerful. Virtual environments allows us to download the packages we need in a box. Allowing us to download, install and maintain everything in a contained space. Making maintaining package dependencies in your project easy.

Rogers Repo: https://github.com/rogercyyu/cligon-url-checker

UPDATE: October 3rd a student in my class seems to have forked my repository and make a pull request! What a wonderful feeling, seeing someone other than myself take interest in my project! It makes me want to work on the project that much more. I wonder what other functionality I could create using threads, requests, and sorting data.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working with others

The Progress