Release V0.2 4th PR

    My final Pull Request was on the Python-Binance repository. This is an unofficial Python wrapper for the Binance exchange REST API v1/3While building my own Binance trading bot I discovered that this library could use Web sockets to hasten the stream of information. Previously, I was using the REST API given to me by Binance, however, with web sockets I can gather information without asking for data. Web sockets are a persistent connection between two computers that result in a higher amount of efficiency. 

    The pull request I am most proud of would have to be the Python-Binance web sockets pull request. This pull request allowed me the opportunity to learn about the difference in polling and scribing. This challenged my understanding of how computers can communicate between each other, I was under the impression that a computer needs input in order to create an output.  However, through this project I learned that you can subscribe to events to get notified when any developments occur. I am most proud of this project as it was a great learning experience for myself.

October 2020

    At the beginning of October, I had no experience with Python.  However, with the Release v0.2 Assignment I decided to challenge myself by learning a new language. At first I had no idea where to start, then I found this python course from Harvard University. One thing I found most peculiar about python was its simple syntax. Working with my colleagues, I noticed everyone would adopt their own indentation styles. In the past, I would spend many hours looking at unfamiliar code. Sometimes it would even give me a headache, however, with pythons simple syntax the code is always organized. I quickly learned the data types of python such as dictionaries, lists, and tuples. Creating the goal of learning a new language gave me the motivation to keep searching for a repository that would help me understand the language a little bit more instead of focusing on getting a pull request. Today, I am learning about the library pandas, a library used in Python that allows data manipulation and analysis. In particular, it offers data structures and operations for manipulating numerical tables and time series. Once you learn Pandas you will not want to use anything else, and you certainly will not want to go back to excel.

Reflection

    As this journey comes to a close, I feel confident that I can contribute to the open source community. At the beginning of this journey I was very anxious, I worried about understanding others code, their architecture, and communicating with others. I quickly learned that the open source community is a very welcoming, and desire to help people learn. I can safely say I have learned a lot about python. I contributed to many simple programs and followed more advanced ones. 

    One thing that I learned which I will do differently next time is to clearly examine others repository before asking questions. I was working on a project and asked the repository owner if it would be okay to add a license to their project. I later found out that the project already had a license attached. After this incident, I have learned that it is important to always examine others  repository closely.

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working with others

Lab 2

The Progress