Release V0.2

 October 4th Two Pull Requests in one day! 


1st: The first Pull Request was for lab two, in which Roger merged my Pull Request! For me, this was an empowering feeling, as it reassured me that I have some knowledge that I can contribute to the open source community! 

2nd: My second Pull Request was on a random repository I found for grammatical errors. It was a very simple pull request that didn't take more than 10 minutes, however, it still allowed me to contribute to an individuals work. Once again, this merge was able to give me more confidence that I can contribute to the community, even if it is a simple grammatical error!

On Oct/04/2020: Whilst browsing through the endless list of repositories, I noticed a game written in javascript. After reading their repository, I decided it would be fun to contribute to their project. Initially, I created a pull request with just a few spelling and grammatical errors. However, while working on this project I did not see anything about a License on their README.md. I brought this to the repository's owner asking if I could add a license. Later, I found out that he already had a LICENSE file. I had accidentally over looked this license, due to not examining his repository carefully. I thought I had made a fool of myself, embarrassed, I slowly backed away from the project. The next day, I noticed the project lead did not defend his position by saying, "Hey, look here, newbie. I have a License right here." He simply said, "Sure add a license. Go for it." After realizing that the sky was not falling, I simply stated, "I noticed that the code has a MIT licence, however, it is not written in the README.md" and created another issue that was on my mind.

While contributing to open source I noticed a lot of users are very kind to each other. They create this safe environment that allows creativity and innovation to occur. Due to my background as a PC gamer, I  initially expected to find the same type of angry keyboard warriors in open source, who send tornados of hate to anyone who makes a mistake. However, my mistake was quickly forgotten, as the repository lead simply closed the issue. This experience has caused me to learn to always read through peoples repository carefully to ensure that I do not miss anything. Another thing that I learned from this experience is that not everyone is out to get me, it is okay to make mistakes, as long as I can learn from them.  

https://github.com/gouri-panda/Pig-game

October 9th/2020
Today I had someone request a pull request on my release! What a feeling, to know that someone out in the community values my project enough to create a pull request. Makes me realize that I am in good company. 

October 11th 2020

As I was at home for thanksgiving weekend, I slept, ate, and binge watched some Netflix. Quickly, the deadline for Release V0.2 approached. I woke up this morning determined to get my first or second pull request for this month. Since I was unsure if my previous pull requests would count towards this assignment. Regardless of this, I started looking for some repositories that struck my interest. This task turned out to be much more challenging  than I had anticipated. I was broken down and frustrated, so I decided to just pick a random repository and start working on it. This was a terrible idea. I had difficulties setting up my environment variables, my database, and I had no one I could ask for help. I quickly took a step back, noticed the time I was wasting, and decided to drop this approach and project. Giving up never felt better.💯 💯 💯  

I looked on slack for a repository that was recommended by professor Humphrey. I found this issue. This issue was about removing a library they no longer use, the ganglia. At first I was confused, I googled what a ganglia was, asking the issue creator for some guidance. After a long 18 hours of waiting, I decided to take a leap of faith. I started coding. The coding was not hard, if anything coding was the easiest part. It was more about communication and planning. If you would like to see the pull request you can view this here. The issue can be viewed here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working with others

The Progress

We are off! V0.1