Lab 6

Part 1 & 2 The Set Up

    For me, setting up Telescope was a tricky task, in order to run the backend server I had to learn how Reddis and Elasticsearch  worked. I have never used Redis or Elasticsearch. However, after some reading I realized the power behind Elasticsearch, a search engine. After that I learned what Reddis was and got an idea of how they communicated with each other. In addition I had to learn how docker works. Docker sets up a container for your computer's environment. I noticed everything I needed was in the documentation. All hurdles could be solved by sitting down and reading the documentation.

    The environment-setup.md helped guide me through the journey of setting up my environment. I will admit that it made the setting up process easier, however, the documentation did not explain how the backend was set up thoroughly. The environment was set up but I had no idea how it was all working. It felt like I was trying to figure out a jigsaw puzzle. Maybe updating the setup page could be an issue someone could fix. After setting up the backend, I read the next part of this week's lab. Part 3 and 4 of this lab got me thinking about how I should implement this week's task.

LEVEL UP!!! C++ to Python

    Due to the requirements of this week's lab and my previous project, completing part 3 and 4 was a little challenging. Let me explain why. In the beginning, I thought that this project would be a simple Command line tool that we use and throw away, this was not the case. It is now the seventh week and the Command Line Interface program has a big role in our education. Initially, I thought this would be a quick and easy project. This led me to use bash the scripting language to create a quick solution. However, after implementing new features, I realized it would be better to use a programming language such as Python. I came to this conclusion as Python would allow me to create web API calls much easier than bash.

    This lab ultimately led me to rewriting this code in Python. Writing this code in python would allow me to structure the command line interface in a much more simple way. You can find the new repository here. This refactoring allowed me to remember all the assignments we had accomplished in the past few weeks. This gave me an idea on how to implement this week's tasks.

Telescopes REST API was very simple to use, I had no issues integrating my program to the API. Since I rewrote the entire program I used the click library to add our previous options. This library also made accepting arguments simple. My code was a mess and I had to change a lot… 


The next step seems simple. I should edit the README.md to match the code created. I would like to understand what exactly what a gist is I have never used a gist before and must do some readings to understand what It is used for. Seems like I will be updating my own documentation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working with others

The Progress

We are off! V0.1