New Beginnings


    For my 0.4 release I will work on a Python repository called Tweepy. Tweepy is A repository about a Twitter for python. At the beginning of the semester I thought it would be a great challenge to learn a new language that language I chose was python. This release is a chance for me to test my abilities and knowledge about this language. 

    Reflecting on my previous contributions to open source has helped me become a better python developer. 


    I chose this project, Tweepy, for two reasons, in my other professional course TEC 70 to our professor taught us the importance of social media. Accentuated the importance of having an online presence. I thought why not kill two birds with one stone. This project will not only create a python but that will create tweets for me but also help me test my python abilities.


    I will start by creating a simple Tweepy bot. It seems like a very simple thing to do since it is the most common use of the repository. Next I will see the capabilities of what this repository is capable of. I will also research what Twitter Will allow me to do. I have already read stories about people being blocked on the Twitter API due to following too many people in a short amount of time. Finally once I have an understanding of some of the code I will attempt to solve an open issue.


    After examining the architecture of this repository, I noticed that the code came with a learning curve. The builder of this repository had architected this repository in such a way that was very difficult for me to understand. In order to reduce the lines of code needed, in order to build this project, The repository owner nested classes within functions that also included other functions. After a painful four hours of reading and understanding how the code worked, I took a look at the open issues on this repository. It turns out that I could not find a single issue that I could contribute to. Although my ambition was high, I decided to swallow my pride and give up on this repository. I decided to tackle an issue in the Telescope project that was within my skill range and test my abilities and knowledge.


    I started by looking at the open issues on the telescope repository. I found this issue with the following tags "css styling",  "enhancement", and "nice to have". This sparked my interest since I knew I would not have to fully understand the back and development of this project, but still be able to make a meaningful contribution. his also gave me the opportunity to apply my previous semesters experience in development using React. The repository asked that I make a bottom bar for users using telescope on their mobile device. I have never created anything using React and thought it would be a wonderful experience to fully create a component myself. 


    In order to accomplish my goal of creating a react component for the telescope repository, I have decided to re-learn the basics of react and how I am able to use the built-in components, state, routing. I will keep my blog updated with my continuous progress and the challenges that I encounter.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working with others

The Progress

We are off! V0.1