The Progress

This week I decided on a repository to work on, the telescope repository. I was excited since this was a front end development issue. I had never created my own component before, however, I have some prior experience using React. I started by creating a bottomBar component and locating where I should add this component. I located the PageBase.js, the mobile application interface, and added the component to the bottom of the page. I started by creating a div with a red background to make sure I was on the right track. since it has been a couple months that I have not worked with React, I started with the most basic tasks, such as, creating a react component, a div element, and rendering the component I made. 

   After confirming that I did not break anything, I started designing the layout of the desired BottomBar. The idea was created by agarcia-caicedo,  proposed a bottom app bar to improve mobile usability. If you're curious on the original idea you can check out his issue. He also stated that the BottomBar should include some functionality depending on if the user has logged in or not. I started by creating four icon buttons on the BottomBar. Using the "http://material-ui/icons" library I was able to quickly locate the Icons that Agarcia-Caicedo had proposed. 

    Next was implementing CSS to the center the icon spaces between each other, apply an appropriate font size for the icons, and finally adding the background colour. Another problem that I encountered was changing the background colour of the Icon that is currently selected, for this problem I created a function that checks if the current page is the site we are on. If this was the selected URL we simply overwrite the CSS applied on this element.

    Next, was the routing the links that had to be created or replaced. Since most of the code was written in another location, this part was a simple copy, paste and review, after completing the skeleton of the BottomBar I created a pull request. Proud of my work I started to focus on my other courses. 

    A few days passed without me looking at the pull request I had created, during this time I had forgotten most of the code I wrote! The professor asked that I test my pull request, which became a bigger problem than I had anticipated, since I had no clue how to create a local log in system. Telescope, the repository I was working on, uses a Passport/SAML to allow local log in testing. This was a painful experience, since I had never used SAML 2 before. I had difficulty setting up my local environment to allow me to log in. Thankfully, I had help from a Slack group with my fellow colleagues. While I was panicking, they remained calm and collected. I noticed that since they were not emotionally attached to the BottomBar project, they could see the task more objectively, which allowed them to help me discover the solution more efficiently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working with others

We are off! V0.1

Lab 2